04 July 2012

Weekly Reads

There was a little bit of a slow down with my reading this week. I'm having a hard time getting into the books I am reading.....again. The other day I read the first chapter of four different selections and none of them stuck. I know that only reading one chapter doesn't really give you a chance to get the know the book/characters, but first chapters are like first impressions and very important. It's kind of like judging a book by it's cover......which I do all the time.


Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich: I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as book 1. It didn't really have the same kind of suspense behind it as the first one. The storyline seemed a little too "complicated"--I found myself having to go back a couple of times to sort out some of who the characters were. It was nice to see Grandma Mazur take on a bigger role. That character cracks me up, even had me laughing out loud in a few spots. It was nice to see the relationship with Plum and Morelli evolve. I can't wait to see where it leads! 




With My Body by Nikki Gemmell: This is not a book I would recommend to just anyone. As much as I enjoyed it, the story itself was a bit "shocking" (not the right word, but the best I can currently come up with) even for my standards and I have pretty low standards. The intent (I think) was to illustrate an unconventional love story, but all I kept thinking what that Tol, the character the protagonist (the author never gave us her name) falls "in love with" was a creeper--she was only 16, he clearly was not (a.k.a. much older).

I also had a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around her relationship with her father, but that could be because I have such a good relationship with my own father and how her relationship (or lack there of) with her step-mother was the catalyst for her subsequent relationships with the art teacher and then later Tol. It just seemed to be kind of a leap.

I did love that it was written in 2nd person. It took some getting used to, but I thought it worked perfectly for this book--it really gave you a better insight to the main character and I thought helped to draw you into the story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...