27 March 2012

California Guitar Trio

During the show tonight, I had all sorts of things running through my head about what I wanted to say but now that it's time to commit it to (virtual) paper, I've got nearly nothing. Funny how that works. One minutes I'm bursting at the seams and the next it's like the room is full of crickets.

Plus, I'm not a music writer. I'm just a fan who really wishes sometimes she was a music writer.

Anyway.

Tonight the California Guitar Trio put on an amazing show for us here in northern Michigan.

I have to admit, walking in to the show, I didn't have a clue as to what I was in for. It was a last minute decision to go--I kept waffling as to whether or not I such just suck it up and attend by myself. Thankfully, I took a leap of faith in hopes of discovering some new music and really how could I go wrong......a band made up of only acoustic guitars? Yes please!

From the first song to the last, I wore the biggest grin on my face. The Trio's sound is absolutely amazing, flawless even. As much as I love my blues guitar, this is something magical about the sounds a true master of the guitar can pull from the acoustic. That my friends, is exactly what each member of the group did. Between Bach's preludes to a ridiculous version of Pink Floyd's Echo (I don't even like Pink Floyd and I thought it was amazing), it was a set full of beautiful tones, melodies and harmonies. They have such a rich and full sound, I often caught myself trying to figure out who was playing what part because it sounded like there were more than just three of them on stage (I'm refusing to even consider the thought that they may have used a loop).

My favorite song of the night was Train to Lamy. I'm a sucker for the slide when played on the electric guitar, but when it's done on an acoustic, that's it. I'm done for. The slide that was played during the first minute of so of this song absolutely confirmed that for me. So. So. Good.

It was also really fun to hear their arrangement of Bach's Toccata Fugue in D Minor. It was completely unexpected, but such a great example as to how music really doesn't have any boundaries and is able to cross genres and styles to create something completely new.

The only disappointing part of the night was that I didn't take any cash with me so I missed out on buying a copy of the show. If anyone could help a girl out with that, I'd be much obliged.

In the meantime, I do suggest all my music loving (and non-music loving) friends to check out their music and to make sure to check out their tour schedule. As much as I have enjoyed listening to their music while typing up this entry (I am now the proud owner of their entire catalog), seeing them perform in person is really an experience that shouldn't be missed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...