09 June 2012

Running with the Devil

The string of expletives running through my head right now would make a sailor blush.

I have not been out for a run since Tuesday (6/5). Despite dealing with some huge mental barriers and wanting to give up, that is not why I haven't been running this week.

I shouldn't say I haven't ran at all this week. I did go out twice: Sunday, which was awful and Tuesday, which wasn't so bad.

So why only 2 runs?

Two reasons.....the first, I think I totally over did it. I know. Rookie mistake. But I was feeling so good while I was out there (despite all my whining) and I felt like I could do it, so I did and now I'm not. The second reason is that during my run on Saturday, I miss-stepped and tweaked something in my foot. This is why Sunday's run was such a disaster. Thankfully though, my foot didn't really bother me much on Tuesday but it's been just annoying enough that I feel like I should take some time to rest it before I do something to really injury it.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I have absolutely fallen in love with running. It's become such a huge part of my day. Plus, I felt like I had finally settled into a good groove and was making some good progress.

But all is not lost. This down time has given me a chance to try some other things, including swimming. I used to love to swim as a kid. I could flop around like a fish for hours in the lake and not get tired of it. The past two mornings, I have done just that--I've substituted my morning run for a morning "flop" in the lake. Sure, it's a heck of a lot colder but I had just as much fun during my swims as I have when I'm running, which as this point is all that really matters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...