13 May 2012

50 Shades of Annoying


Despite the title, this isn't going to be my review of 50 Shades of Grey which I finished reading last night. One could argue though that it would be quite fitting as this is the book that prompted this post. I will simply say one must read this one on their own and decide how they feel about it. I'm still not sure if I hated it or am just ambivalent about it. I just know I didn't like it.


But that has been a common theme lately. Me, not liking the books I am reading. Or I should say not like the characters in the books I am reading.

I have tried reading everything from YA to romance to fantasy to chit lit and none of it is sticking. I'll get a  few chapters in (I have a 100 page, used to be 50 page rule) and then bail due to a lack of a connection with characters and/or story. It's not really conducive to meeting my reading goal for the year.

I know it sounds kind ridiculous and I'm sure I'm not alone, but I get attached to the characters in a book when I'm reading it and if that's missing then what's the point. I want to feel something for the people I am reading about. If I am going to spend hours with them, even though they aren't real, I want to be happy when they are happy. I want to be sad when they are sad. I want to care how the story turns out for them. *sigh* It is even more frustrating when the books are really well written (it's not such a shock when the writing is sub par).

Does anyone else feel that way? Feel like something is missing if/when you don't connect with the characters in the book you are reading? How do you get passed it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...