31 January 2012

What I read in January

I am slowly making my way through my reading list for the year.

I finally finished reading The Child Thief by Brom last night (staying up until 3am to finish it was not a good move). I LOVED this book. It took me a lot longer to finish than I initially thought it would, but it was well worth the hours of sleep I lost while reading it. It was such an interesting and totally unexpected take on the tale of Peter Pan. It's definitely a story that will stick with me for quite a while. I would absolutely recommend it, but with fair warning that it's not for the faint of heart. It's pretty intense and very dark.

Last weekend I read Alice in Deadland by Mainak Dhar, which I have to say was a bit of a let down. I really enjoyed Pride & Prejudice & Zombies and hoped this one would be just as good. Not so much. The story line moved really slowly and I couldn't get passed the fact that some of the same phrases (both in description and dialogue) were used multiple times.....on the same page. Plus, the characters weren't really well developed. They just seemed flat--I didn't feel like I was given anything to really like or dislike about any of them which is an important part of the story for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...