18 December 2011

Minty Fresh

I am completely addicted to Pinterest and Craft Gawker. Seriously. It's a little out of hand. Between the two sites, I spent a RIDICULOUS amount of time yesterday making lists and pins and boards and getting ideas for craft projects and things to do around my house. But what I really loved, was finding a whole slew of ideas for making my own bath salts and scrubs.

Since I was a kid, I've had really sensitive skin that will turn on me at a moments notice. And as I've gotten older, it's become worse. Over the last few years I've been moving away from my favorite products packed full of scented goodness (oh how I miss my Bath & Body Works Moonlit Path body butter) to simpler, perfume free ones that are kinder to my skin (a.k.a. Johnson's baby wash <---that stuff is brilliant if you don't mind smelling like a newborn).

Even though I was able to move to the perfume free body washes, there were still some things I missed: body scrubs to be exact, especially in the winter. The really is nothing worse that dry, itchy skin that won't go away. I've found a few that I love (I adore the Dead Sea Scrub from Ritual Bath) but I'm trying to be frugal with my hard earned cash hence turning to the Internet for some homemade help!

I know it shouldn't have come as a shock (of any kind) but I was stunned at the plethora of recipes and variations I was able to find when it comes to making my own scrubs. The options are endless but the base ingredients are all the same: salt or sugar, oil (vegetable oil, olive oil, almond oil) and a scent of your choosing.

This afternoon I decided to whip up my first batch, just to see how I liked it. Thankfully, I already had everything I needed in my kitchen so my body scrub was ready in a snap. I opted for a minty sugar scrub and I am in love! Besides being ridiculously easy to make, it left my skin feeling silky smooth.

Here are the ingredients and directions if you'd like to make your own!


I used 1 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of almond oil and a
couple drops of mint extract (I didn't have peppermint oil, but this worked just as well)

In a bowl I mixed the sugar, oil and mint together by adding the oil in a little at a time. 


Once it was all mixed together, I put it into jars and sealed tightly. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...