10 July 2013

Weekly Reads

Oh hey.....look! I read a book.

O.k. so they were more in the novella category but if I paid for them, I'm counting them. And sadly, I'm not entirely sure why I bought one of them to begin with. It was awful, but I'll get to that in a moment.

Hook's Pan by Marie Hall
Trishelle Page has known pain in her life, but instead of it making her weak, she's stronger. Confident. That is until the day a fairy kidnaps her during her staring role in Peter Pan's play and tells her not only do fairy tales exist, but that she's the soulmate of the pirate they call Hook, making her question everything she ever thought she knew. 

Captain James Hook is a man at the end of his rope. He's not the villainous bastard tales have made him out to be. So when the curvaceous blonde drops, literally, at his feet he aims to prove it to her. If only to get her into his bed. 

What neither one knows is that fate and magic are conspiring and they can deny the attraction all they want but the end is already written, it's just a matter of getting there.

This was the fifth (and final) book in this series. I somehow missed book 4 but thankfully this isn't one of those series that you need to read them in order. Of the four in the series that I have read, this one was my favorite. Maybe because of my deep seeded love for pirates. Or maybe because the way Trishelle handled her emotions is pretty close to how I deal with mine (sarcasm all the way!) but I really loved this one.

Trishelle's character was pretty similar to the other to the other female characters in this series. Wounded by past loves. Thrown into a "fantasy world" and only three days to fall in love with their mate. There did seem to be some disconnect between Trisha's perception about her past behavior and relationships and how that part of her life was actually presented--they really didn't match, but that didn't diminish anything about the story--just seemed a little odd.

Hook on the other hand--this was a really interesting interpretation of the story of him and Peter Pan. I loved the way Hall breathed life into a character that for so long has played second fiddle to Peter Pan. Regardless of my love for  rascally pirates, by the end you were really rooting for him and his  own wounded heart.

Shattered (Dream Realms Trilogy: Book 1)
Sophia Sharpe
Laura Cubus was perfectly content with her life. A junior in high school, she felt perfectly normal. She had good friends, a great family, and did well in school. Nothing particularly exciting ever happened where she lived, and everything was stable. 

But that all drastically changes when a new student arrives at Laura's school. Wild rumors swirl about his past, and Laura becomes determined to find out the truth. As she gets to know the mysterious student, he shares with her an ancient secret... one that may yet put both of them in grave danger. 

And for the first time in her life, Laura is exposed to a completely unfamiliar world. She is swept away on an exhilarating journey that takes to a place where romance and great destiny may yet await... and where supernatural powers run rampant.

Right after I bought my Kindle, I went on this bizarre shopping spree of books and this title was apparently one of them. And to be honest, I don't quite know where to even start. I read it in one sitting and if you have fortunate pleasure (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it) of following me on Twitter, I did a little bit of a live-tweet while reading it.

To say it is a knock-off of Twilight would be diminishing the success of the Twilight series. I really don't like to make disparaging remarks about someone elses talent as a writer, but this was just plain awful. For it to be about a seventeen year old girl, it read like it was written from the perspective of how a seventeen year old girl thinks she should behave, talk, etc. And by the end of it, my finishing the book was really just a test to see if it would get any worse--which it did. 
Follow on Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...