08 December 2012

Relish 12: Rest & Replenish

I know there is still quite a bit of December left, but I've already begun the process (like I do every December) of looking back over the past twelve months and reflecting on the year that is coming to a close. It's been kind of a bizarre year with a lot of ups and downs, personal growth and unexpected events which has made it hard to put into words.

And then, thanks to Nikkiana at Authentic Experience (If you aren't already reading her blog, please do so! It is open, honest and one of my favorite blogs to read) I found Relish 12, a series of writing prompts from Rebecca Murphy "where we spend the month of December relishing & remembering the year about to end. ". As soon as I read what it was all about, I knew it was exactly what I was looking for as look back over the last 12 months.

Since I'm starting a bit late, I'll likely go out of order with some of the prompts or possibly include two in one post (I don't plan on posting everyday--some things will be too personal to share I am sure) but I am looking forward to using this series as a way to remember 2012.

Relish 12.8: Rest & Replenish
How well did you allow for resting and replenishing? Where, when and how did you fill up your tank? 

Mt absolute favorite place to reset myself is my families cottage on the lake. I spent most summer afternoons there playing in the sand, flopping around in the water like a fish and pretending I was part of a synchronized swim team as a kid. It felt like that was where I was supposed to be. The cottage and the lake felt more like home than our house in town.

Even as an adult, as soon as I pull into the driveway, I still feel that same sense of calm and "right" as I did then. I can, have and do spend hours sitting at a picnic table writing, sitting in a lounge chair just simply staring out into the water  while Sadie wanders off to explore.

For me, it is a place of healing--there is no pressure to be someone I am not or watch what I say or watch what I do. I can just simply be.

I spent nearly every morning at the lake this summer and used my time there to refocus my meditation practice. It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle of schedules and other people that making sure to take a few minutes for myself each day has been invaluable.
Even if it was only 10 minutes to sit in silence, focusing on my breath did wonders to calm and center me. It was able to ground me to who I am and what I need. It's a practice that I would be lost without.


2 comments:

  1. Aww! Thanks for the kind words, Meg! Your family's lake cottage sounds like it's absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, what a wonderful idea and so well written.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...