01 December 2012

Hooked on You

I come from a pretty crafty bunch. My mom paints and used to own a craft store with my grandmother. My grandmother used to sew, quilt and crochet. I have aunts who also knit and quilt. And I have two handmade quilts from my great grandmother.

My grandmother taught me and friend how to crochet when I was 10 years old. I'm pretty sure it was to keep us occupied while we spent the afternoon at her house, but I fell in love with it almost immediately. I remember sitting on the floor in the living room for what seemed like hours, crocheting chain after long chain, pulling out the stitches and starting all over.

When I moved into my house, all of my unfinished projects were tucked away with a promise that "when I have time, I'll finish them". But other things around the house took precedence, schedules filled up and I just plan forgot about them. A couple of weeks ago, while cleaning out one of the spare bedrooms, I came across my yarn stash, crochet hooks and the afghan I had started that was intended to be a gift for my grandmother. I decided to see if I could still remember the stitches I had learned all those years ago and it was like I had never put the projects away.

I have been having a lot of fun rediscovering a hobby I used to love as a kid. I've already finished one gift for a friend and have been scouring the web and Youtube for tutorials for some other projects to start this winter. I've also started working on a new afghan for Sadie as she has decided to take over the section that I've already completed.


Practicing my stitches


Yarn Stash


Choose your hook wisely


A gift for a friend

7 comments:

  1. Hola Meg!
    You are so blessed to have had your grandma teach you how to crochet. I am happy you have found your yarn stash and am sure you will remember everything your grandma taught you :)

    ~SimplyyMayra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting my projects out has been a great way of honoring my grandmothers memory. She would have been proud.

      Delete
  2. Hi Meg,

    I have recently taken up crocheting again, usually I do a lot of knitting. I was taught by my Mom and Grandmother how to do it and each time I pick up my latest project I kind of remember those lessons - crafting can be a sort of time travel!

    By the way, I really love the case for your crocheting needles!

    Love, Qaroline
    http://qarolinesqonundrums.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the memories crocheting brings back.

      I bought the case after I rediscovered my hooks at a local craft store. I needed something to keep them organized so I don't lose them again.

      Delete
  3. your yarn stash in that basket looks delicious! i'm hosting a crochet along for december on my blog. we are going to be making a slouchy beanie if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to check out the project!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Found you on the totally awesome blog hop, and I'm so glad that I did! Crocheting is so hard for me; I don't have the patience for it. Tips?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...