06 April 2013

Running with the Devil

Ahhh......running.

How I love thee.

As I mentioned earlier this week, I started back at it and to be honest, I couldn't be more happy about it, even if it has been quite painful. I'll get to that in a moment.

I didn't realize how long it had been since I "logged" my last run until I looked at my Nike+ app on my iPhone. I had gone out a few times this winter, but since I knew it wasn't going to be a constant thing I didn't bother tracking them. Boy, do I wish I had though. It would have left me feeling like less of a slacker. Whoops!

Anyway, this week I was officially back at it and I was pretty surprised by how much I had missed it, especially the "runners high" everyone talks about. I usually "get there" about halfway through my runs, just about the time I'm ready to give up and it reminds me why I am out there doing it.


I am definitely in a better head-space this time around with my running. If you've read any of the previous posts in this series, you'll know that running brings up a whole bunch of funk that I've kept buried pretty deep. I typically end up finishing a few runs a week in tears, sobbing for whatever reason came to me that day while I was out and it usually revolved around the idea that I wasn't running fast enough or hard enough or long enough or whatever. This time though, I'm not paying attention to my mileage or pace, just the amount of time I am out there. I'm not keeping track of how many times I need to walk to catch my breath or if I have to add an extra minute to my warm-up or cool-down walk. I'm just out there to run because I know all that other stuff (a faster pace, an ability to run further) will take care of itself as long as I get out there and do what I can today and not worry about tomorrow.

As for the "painful" part of this little experiment  whatever issue I thought had cleared up with my hip did not in fact go away. And of course, when Googling my symptoms the internet and WebMD would have me believe that all signs lead to cancer or in my case a serious stress fracture, but regardless I am taking no chances.  I have an appointment on Monday with  my doctor to see whats going on and if he has any suggestions. In all honesty though, I'm fairly certain it's a soft tissue issue from sitting for too many hours at my desk at work and then at home and not stretching enough all of which I am already taken steps to "fix". Here's to hoping though that catching it "this early" will save me from either injuring myself even more or being told that I can't run at all.

1 comments:

  1. You make me wish I loved running! I still very much do not. Maybe one day. P.S. I hope your pain goes away, that's no fun at all. Good luck at your appointment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...