02 April 2013

It's That Time of Year Again!

Even though Mother Nature seems to have missed the memo, spring has returned and brought with it two of my favorite things....

Baseball and running!

I'll spare you from a baseball related post for now, but trust me. It's coming.

I will gladly admit that I am a "fair weather" runner. I'll run in the wind and the rain, but I don't run in the winter thanks to a unnatural fear of skidding along on a patch of black ice and wrecking my ankle again. I just don't have time for that. And I hate the treadmill so unless there is an abnormally nice and clear-roads kind of day, you won't see me out there between December and March and I am ok with it.

BUT once April rolls around, all excuses are tucked away into the closet until the next winter rolls around and it's time to hit the road.

That is exactly what I did yesterday morning. I rolled my ass out of bed at 5:30am and by 6:00am I was well on my way to running my first 1.5 miles of the spring. It was fantastic being out there again. Sure the road was covered in snow (it was a light dusting which actually helped so I could see where I was running), it was really dark (I need to invest in a flashlight or something) and I was well under my average pace from fall, but I felt great! I had definitely forgotten how freeing and meditative running is for me.

My plan is to ease back into it over the next month. Nothing too crazy like last year. I'd like to avoid another stress fracture. The plan is to start slow--three times a week, 20-30 minutes each time before building up my number of days, time and distance. I'll still keep track, but I don't plan on paying too close of attention to my pace or mileage at this point. I did that last year and it didn't work. I ended up being too hard on myself--pushing myself too fast, too soon and as a result had a nagging injury that was really frustrating.

I do have one goal for myself this summer and it is to run a 5k. I don't really have any desire to run one other than to say that I ran one. It just kind of seems like the thing to do. There is a local one in July that I'll likely use as my "goal date" and work towards.

If you see some chick running in neon colors while singing and potentially throwing in a few days moves between strides, it's likely me doing what I do best while running, which is having as much fun as I can possible muster.

See you on the trails!

2 comments:

  1. Okay: 1.) You are so much more motivated than me. I am so not a runner. 2.) Tigers! (And Verlander is pretty yummy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've got a great plan going, way to go! Good luck with the 5K... I would love to do one but by May, it's way too hot and humid here. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...