22 January 2014

Read: Riveted & Hollow City

Riveted by Meljean Brooks
A century after a devastating volcanic eruption forced Iceland’s inhabitants to abandon its shores, the island has become enshrouded in legend. Fishermen tell tales of giant trolls guarding the land and of seductive witches who steal men’s hearts. But the truth behind the legends is mechanical, not magic—and the mystery of the island a matter of life and death for a community of women who once spilled noble blood to secure their freedom.

Five years ago, Annika unwittingly endangered that secret, but her sister Källa took the blame and was exiled. Now Annika serves on the airship Phatéon, flying from port to port in search of her sister and longing to return home . . . but that home is threatened when expedition leader David Kentewess comes aboard.

Determined to solve the mystery of his own origin, David will stop at nothing to expose Annika’s secrets. But when disaster strikes, leaving David and Annika stranded on a glacier and pursued by a madman, their very survival depends on keeping the heat rising between them—and generating lots of steam.

This is the third book in the Iron Seas series by Melijean Brooks. Iron Duke, the first book in the series I love. The second book, Heart of Steel wasn't too bad. But this one was a bit of a struggle. I've made a rule that I can't give up on a book until I've read at least 150 pages. If I didn't have that rule, I'm not sure I would have made it through this one. It took that long for things to get even remotely interesting.

Annika and David were both likable characters and was nice to see a male lead character show some insecurities for once. The plot was good. Lots of twists and turns although towards the end I found myself thinking, "Of course that just happened."



 Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience.

I refuse to say I was disappointed in this book.

But it wasn't what I expected.

It took a LONG time to get into the story because the first half is essentially just a group of kids running away from the bad guys. The second half of the book is more running away from bad things but with some resolution.

I think had I read the first book again before picking up the second, I would have enjoyed it a bit more. It is still well worth the read though. Just read the first book first otherwise there are way to many holes that might leave you wishing you'd never started read it.
Follow on Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...