08 January 2014

Read: Greywalker & Island of Lost Girls

As I do every year, I have set a little "reading goal" for myself. Normally, I really try to challenge myself and set the bar pretty high. But this year, I'm following the trend of what I've actually accomplished the last couple of years and have set my goal at 40 books for the year. I figure with school, work, my photography (which has all of a sudden become really interesting to people), there just aren't enough hours in the day to try and do more. Forty books seems like a good round number.

Onto the first reads of 2014!




Greywalker by Kat Richardson
When Harper comes to in the hospital, she begins to feel a bit ...strange. She sees things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist, snarling teeth, creatures roaring. But Harper's not crazy. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker-able to move between our world and the mysterious, cross-over zone where things that go bump in the night exist. And her new gift (or curse) is about to drag her into that world of vampires and ghosts, magic and witches, necromancers and sinister artifacts. Whether she likes it or not.

I really don't know how I feel about this book. I really wanted to like it, but in all honesty it made my head hurt.

The concept of the story was really interesting, but the execution was a bit, shall we say, disjointed and confusing. It felt like there were chunks of time missing from the story which made it hard to follow. And when Harper, the heroine of our story would move between the "real world" and the "grey" it was a bit difficult to figure out just what was going on.

While there are other books in this series, I don't know that I'll continue on with the life of Harper Blaine, which is really hard for me to admit. Normally once I start a series I like to finish it, but this one just seems a little too far outside of my interest to stick with it.




Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon
While parked at a gas station, Rhonda sees something so incongruously surreal that at first she hardly recognizes it as a crime in progress. She watches, unmoving, as someone dressed in a rabbit costume kidnaps a young girl. Devastated over having done nothing, Rhonda joins the investigation. But the closer she comes to identifying the abductor, the nearer she gets to the troubling truth about another missing child: her best friend, Lizzy, who vanished years before.

Island of Lost Girls was a fast moving mystery focused around Rhonda. The story alternates between the present (when Rhonda sees a little girl being kidnapped by an adult-sized white rabbit) and the past (the summer her best friend Lizzy stops talking). There were a number of twist and turns in the plot that kept me saying "I'll just read one more chapter and then I'll go to bed" as the two stories intertwined. Parts of the book were a bit predictable which was frustrating, but it was still a fantastic read.



Follow on Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...