16 November 2012

Honest to Blog: Dealing with an End




There is no way around it.....

It sucks when relationships end.

Whether they are new or old, intense or barely scratch the surface, romantic or friendships, calling something quits is the pits.

For the couple of weeks or so, I have been begrudgingly coming to terms with the end of a relationship. A relationship that I really enjoyed, one that I wish had more life left to it. But also one, that I knew wasn't going to be for the long term.

Does that ever happen to you? You meet someone, totally dig them and think "This is awesome!" but know in your gut it's pretty superficial? You know right away that it has an expiration date that coming up fast?

The further away I am from having last seen/spoken with said person, the sadder it makes me. The more I miss them and spending time with them.

The more time that passes, the more I am second guessing myself because that's what I do. I wonder what I did or said that was wrong. I wonder if I should have done something differently or made more of an effort or not made an effort at all.

But I know all the above is ridiculous. Sometimes, this is just how things so. Not everything works out like we want it to. Not everything ends up being what we thought it was. People come and go in our lives all the time. They pop in and out and sometimes, it we're lucky they stay long enough to teach us something. And although short, this person was of the latter category--the category that allows others to learn and grow and come up a better person on the other end.

I'm still sorting it all out. Sorting through the feelings of sadness, frustration but more intensely disappointment.

But in the end, as ridiculous as it sounds, I know I will end up being grateful. Grateful for the time I was able to spend with this person, rediscovering a part of myself that doesn't get to come out and shine very often and figuring out how to let that part of myself out more often.

Honest to Blog is a series where I let my pen glide across the paper without letting my inner editor know what is going on. Some posts might be controversial. Some might be a bit boring and some might be downright ridiculous. But they will all be open, honest and 100% me.


4 comments:

  1. Oh boy do I know exactly how you feel!! Someone shared this poem with me a few years back, and it makes me feel better. Hope you feel better about it all soon!♥


    People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
    When you figure out which one it is,
    you will know what to do for each person.

    When someone is in your life for a REASON,
    it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
    They have come to assist you through a difficulty;
    to provide you with guidance and support;
    to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
    They may seem like a godsend, and they are.
    They are there for the reason you need them to be.

    Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
    this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
    Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
    Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
    What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
    The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

    Some people come into your life for a SEASON,
    because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
    They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
    They may teach you something you have never done.
    They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
    Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.

    LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
    things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
    Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person,
    and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
    It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

    — Unknown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the poem! I'm going to need to remember this more often.

      Delete
  2. I can completely relate. Very well put.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I found your blog, and this post especially. I'm going through a relationship loss right now and I can completely relate to what you said about being grateful in the end. Any kind of loss is a hard transition, but it's nice to know you're not the first and only person to expirience it, and to know there is another side to whatever pain it is causing. So I just wanted to say, honest to blog, I'm glad I found this. (:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...